There is a large variety of deaths that the player can experience while venturing in the Witch's House. Deaths can be a result of:
- Getting caught while being chased by an enemy
- Spending more time in a dangerous area than the timer permits
- Making poor decisions while solving a particular puzzle
Here is a list of deaths that can occur in The Witch's House. It includes spoilers.
- If Viola steps on the red puddle in the Trapped Room, the walls will crush her.
- Viola will be impaled by a flying spear in any room except in the Hall of Distraction.
- If Viola moves left, right or backtrack in the Hall of Distraction after reading the note in the previous room, Viola will be trapped in a separate room and a boulder will crush her.
- In the Correct Mouth Pathway, Viola will die if she steps on the spikes next to the door leading to the Quiet Hallway.
- If Viola attempts to exit the Right Cell, the skeleton chained to the wall will move closer to you. If the skeleton catches Viola, it kills her. Viola can leave the cell by mashing the Confirm button on the door until it lets Viola out. (Note: In Version 1.07, if the skeleton catches Viola, she will awake in the middle bed in the Yellow Flowers Room instead of dying.)
- Stepping into the poison without the glass shoes in the Poison Hallway will cause Viola to disintegrate.
- Drinking the soup in the Dining Room will poison Viola and cause her to lose HP with each step.
- The Chef will chop Viola's hands off if she chooses to lend the chef a hand in the Kitchen.
- Upon entering the Spider Room, If Viola takes the Butterfly without placing the Butterfly Model in the web, trying to exit the room will make a spider decapitate her.
- Reading the Book of Death will cause Viola to violently and uncontrollably bleed to death.
- Walking on the thin bridge in the Main Hallway on the 3rd Floor will cause the bridge will break under Viola's weight, thus causing her to die.
- Entering the Snake Room without feeding the Frog to the Snake will cause the Snake to eat Viola.
- If Viola visits the Frog Room after the Frog was killed, and Viola reads the note, a black hand will emerge from the black pit and grab her.
- In the Riddle Room, allow Viola to answer wrongly by selecting all of the items except for the clock upon reading the note. Upon entering the room and reading the note, the note will ask her whether or not she was answering wrong on purpose. If Viola nods in response, the two statues standing on each side of the note will crush her.
- Taking the Music Sheet in front of any painting, excluding the Black-Haired Painting, will cause Viola to get sucked into the wall and die.
- Playing the piano will cause the piano to crush Viola.
- If Viola plays the music box without the key or with the King Key, and enters the Quiet Hallway, the Toy Soldier will shoot Viola.
- Prying open the door and going through it will cause Viola to trip and lose her head. (Note: In Version 1.07, it is caused by ignoring the Woman Statue and entering the door.)
- Once Viola goes down the chimney, she will find herself back in the dining room among many Male Bust Statues. If Viola heads to the kitchen and tries opening the door that leads to the 2nd Floor Stairs, she will find out that the door is locked and a bloody hand print will appear on the wall. Viola goes back up the chimney and escalates down the floors to the stairs leading to the first floor, and attempts to open the door, she will find that this door is still locked. When she turns back, a Male Bust Statue will appear in front of her. If Viola chooses to remain still, the Male Bust Statue will promptly crush her.
- If Viola puts the gold chopsticks anywhere except the ribs in the skeleton, an invisible person wielding a knife will kill her once she enters the Kitchen.
- If Viola X the White Flowers in the Witch's Garden, or X it the wrong way upon listening to the Red Grasses, the White Flowers will impale Viola with their stem.
- If Viola talks to the Tadpoles three times in the Water Chamber, the tile on which Viola is standing will break and cause her to drown.
- Entering any mouths except for the correct mouth in the Mouth Hallway will cause Viola to be impaled by spikes.
- If Viola reenters the Skull Hallway after outrunning the Giant Skull, the latter will still be roaming the area and will kill Viola if she does not leave. In Version 1.07, the animation of this death has been altered: rather than simply killing Viola by decapitation, the Giant Skull will eat her whole and will chew on her cadaver.
- If Viola takes the Wristwatch from the table in the Dark Hallway, a noose will wrap around Viola's neck and hang her.
- If Viola wears the Red Shoes, Viola's head will lie on the ground, severed from her body, and her headless body skips off the screen.
- Two Giant Skulls will appear if Viola enters the Skull Hallway after the Witch's Garden is dyed red.
- After taking the Doll Head and entering the Number Lock Chamber, the Red Eyes will persistently start banging on the door. If Viola does not exit the room chooses to remain within the door's vicinity, the door will burst open and the Red Eyes will catch you.
- After putting the Teddy Bear Torso in the basket and reentering the Entrance Way, a Giant Teddy Bear will come and squash Viola if she does not run.
- Upon placing the Book of Death on the shelf in the Glass Display Room, a Bloody Skull will chase and attempt to kill Viola.
- The Black-Haired Painting will chase Viola once she obtains the Music Sheet and if she didn't run quickly, she will be turned into a painting of hers.
- After solving the Skull Puzzle, a Giant Skull will appear and kill Viola if she does not run.
- Once Viola washes the red shoes in the Water Chamber, a Giant Skull will appear from the entrance to the Witch's Garden and kill Viola if she does not run.
- After Viola takes the Doll Head in the Medicine Room, Red Eyes will appear and kill Viola if she does not run.
- The Legless Girl will attempt to catch Viola after Viola has read the last diary entry.
- If Viola exits the Kitchen after she puts the Gold Chopsticks back in the skeleton's ribs, and lets the timer go to 00:00, an invisible person wielding a knife will kill her.
- Let Viola walk into the Poison Hallway and do not let her step on the poison. If the timer goes down to 00:00, Viola will evaporate.
- Step on the poison when wearing the Glass Shoes in the Poison Hallway or in the Poison Room. If the timer go to 00:00, she will evaporate.